Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Olympic pity party…

It is almost time for the summer Olympics to start. Big woo. The only event I watch during the summer games is the swimming. But now they have taken away the biggest reason for watching. The swimmers have decided to put on full body suits to shave off a few milliseconds. WTF are they doing?? They are depriving us of gawking at their well sculpted, wet, bodies. Ugh. Oh well, guess I will just deal with it. I love the winter Olympics because I am addicted to the ice dancing and the Luge. I was totally misty-eyed when Torvill and Dean skated the Bolero in Lillehammer and was pissed when they didn’t take home the gold (they took bronze).

What kills me to watch the Olympics are the sad stories of hardship, sacrifice, loss, sickness, and devotion of the contestants. It all sounds like a Lifetime movie special done entirely in a country song. I don’t give a damn that you got up at 4am every morning to travel 100 miles from bum-fucking Egypt to the big city to practice your skills. I don’t give a damn that you took care of your cancer stricken grandmother because your crack whore mother is in her 9th stint of rehab and your father hasn’t been around since you were two. But you have held on to your dreams of one day being an Olympian and bringing home the gold and then only to loose your metals because of performance enhancing drugs. Boo-fucking-woo.

Seriously? Unfortunately most folks eat this shit up. Most of the time they go on to loose anyway, perhaps bringing home a bronze or silver. Devastated that they are not bringing home the gold! I say it is high time for the Tonya Harding’s of the Olympic world to stand up, grab a crow bar and destroy some dreams. Now that is real drama.

No comments: