Monday, August 25, 2008

Mommie Dearest...

Sunday we did nothing. We didn’t even leave the apartment (taking Moses out does not count). Of course there is nothing on TV. Eventually I found Mommie Dearest on the soap network. HAD TO WATCH! MD is such a bad movie but it is so over the top and campy that it has turned into a cult classic and most of the gays have scenes memorized! I know I do! This movie is so bad that it earned the Razzie award for worst movie of the 1980’s. The movie is based on a novel by her oldest adopted daughter who then whored it into a movie. I don’t believe Christina Crawford’s take on her famous mother, in its entirety. Joan Crawford was known to be obsessive compulsive who loved her vodka and, in my opinion, borderline manic. I have read interviews and accounts from her other adopted children and they paint a pretty nasty picture of Christina Crawford. Also, victims of child abuse are usually not known to make the dirty laundry so public. I think she was pissed that she was cut out of the will, which she and Christopher contested and won about 28K each. Either way, I doubt that the accounts of abuse in the movie and book are 100% accurate. It certainly makes for a fabulous cinematic experience. Who wouldn’t love a movie about a boozed up drag queenish movie star going around slapping people with wire hangers? When this movie is played at the Lakewood Theater people come dressed as Joan Crawford in kabuki-style makeup wielding hangers yelling “Don’t FUCK with me fellas!” Gotta love it!

No comments: